Artist: Terry Reid
Title Of Album: Super Lungs: The Complete Studio Recordings 1966-1969
Year Of Release: 2004
Label: EMI Records Ltd.
Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Soft Rock
Bitrate: 320 kbps
Total Time: CD1 - 1 h 18 min 23 sec CD2 - 1 h 11 min 16 sec
Total Size: 321 Mb (+3%) | Scans
Most of the contents of Super Lungs: The Complete Studio Recordings -- most especially the albums Bang, Bang You're Terry Reid and Terry Reid -- will be familiar to the singer's fans, and may dissuade people from picking up this double-CD set. ... Full DescriptionThat would be a shame, however, in view of the other material that is here -- starting with his work with Peter Jay & the Jaywalkers, which opens disc one and dates from well before his solo debut, Reid reveals himself as an extraordinarily (jaw-droppingly good, in fact) soul singer, with range, power, charisma, and taste, even on those early sides, and the package is extended into genuinely uncharted territory with a half-dozen newly discovered, newly mixed outtakes from Bang, Bang You're Terry Reid, and two tracks from Reid's first recording session in 1966, "Funny How Time Slips Away" (which is almost worth the price of the double-CD set by itself) and "I'll Take Good Care of You." The sound quality is spot-on perfect, state of the art, the annotation by Peter Doggett is entertaining and informative, and the whole package is some of the best British-spawned soul and R&B that one can find. ~ Bruce Eder
Audio Remasterer: Peter Mew.
Liner Note Author: Peter Doggett.
Recording information: Abbey Road Studio 2 (11/17/1966-04/20/1969); De Lane Lea (11/17/1966-04/20/1969); EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (11/17/1966-04/20/1969).
"Super Lungs: The Complete Studio Recordings 1966-69" includes the two albums recorded for EMI, "Terry Reid" and "Bang Bang You're Terry Reid", plus 12 extra tracks including some 2003 versions. Most tracks are written by Reid but the albums include some standout cover versions which serve as a good introduction.
Personnel: Terry Reid (vocals, guitar); Bill Bonham (flute, saxophone, keyboards); Brian Hayward (trumpet); Peter Solley (keyboards); Peter Jay, Keith Webb (drums).
Audio Mixer: Peter Mew.
Entertainment Weekly - "...Those lungs were super indeed." - Grade: B+
01. It's Gonna Be Morning (2:59)
02. I'll Take Good Care of You [Second Version] (2:38)
03. Funny How Time Slips Away [Second Version] (3:39)
04. Just Walk in My Shoes (2:21)
05. The Hand Don't Fit in the Glove [Single A Side] (2:56)
06. Time Time [Single B Side] (1:51)
07. Better By Far (3:30)
08. Fires Alive (2:58)
09. Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (4:16)
10. Tinker Taylor (2:55)
11. Erica (3:51)
12. Without Expression (4:48)
13. Sweater (2:06)
14. Something's Gotten Hold on My Heart (5:02)
15. Season of the Witch (10:10)
16. Writing on the Wall / Summertime Blues (10:14)
17. When I Get Home (3:40)
18. Loving Time (3:42)
19. Without Expression [2003 Mix] (4:47)
01. Superlungs My Supergirl (2:43)
02. Silver White Light (2:54)
03. July (3:33)
04. Marking Time (3:47)
05. Stay With Me Baby (4:12)
06. Highway 61 Revisited / Friends / Highway 61 Revisited (8:00)
07. May Fly (3:42)
08. Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace (4:26)
09. Rich Kid Blues (4:17)
10. Highway 61 Revisited [2003 Mix] (4:27)
11. Funny How Time Slips Away [First 'Demo' Version] (3:58)
12. I'll Take Good Care of You [First 'Demo' Version] (2:07)
13. Ain't That Peculiar (4:25)
14. I've Got News for You (5:34)
15. Summer Sequence (2:04)
16. Zodiac Blues (2:58)
17. Penny (6:04)
18. Rich Old Lady (2:05)